Burglary is something that every homeowner dreads. The thought of having your treasured possessions stolen and your home broken into doesn’t bear thinking about. Unfortunately burglary is not an uncommon occurence in the UK, with 370,387 burlaries being committed between October 2015 and September 2016.
Other than high end properties that are deliberately targeted by organised burglars, most burglaries are not carefully planned in advance but rather impulse crimes carried out by opportunist thieves. They prowl the streets and look for properties that have vulnerablities, such as a weak front door, open windows or no visibile alarm.
The good news is that you don’t have to spend a huge amount of money on complex security systems in order to make your home secure. Just a few adjustments can make your home much more secure and less likely to be burgled. Below are some of the main areas of home secure that are important to reduce the likelihood of having your property broken into.
- Windows – Making sure your windows are closed and locked when you’re not at home is vital. Windows are very often used as a means of entry by opportunist burglars. Read more
- Doors – Doors are another extremely common weakness that many houses have. In order for your home to be secure it’s essential that you have a solid door with a good locking mechanism. Read more
- Lighting – Lights can be an extremely effective deterrent for burglars. A lot of burglaries happen late at night or early in the morning when it’s still dark. Installing external lights at the front and rear of your house will make burglars think twice about targeting your home. Read more.
- Security alarms – Alarms are the most popular deterrent people use to prevent burglary and for good reason – they’re extremely effective. Read more.
- Flats and apartments – People who live in flats and apartments can wrongly assume they’re not likely to be targeted by burglars. Read more
- Leaving your home – If you’re leaving your home for an extended period of time then it’s especially important that you take precautions to make it secure. Read more
- Sheds and Outbuildings – It’s easy to neglect security when it comes to sheds and outbuildings but they’re very often targeted by burglars for this very reason. Read more
- Top Ten tips for securing your home – The best tips for making your home as secure as possible. Read more