If you own a horses or multiple horses and you intend to transport them to shows etc. then you’ll need to get the right form of transportation and horsebox insurance. Many people use horse trailers, which you simply attach to the back of your existing vehicle. However if you want more protection and control then a horsebox is the best option.
Things to consider
Below are some things to consider when getting your first horsebox
- Size – You’ll certainly want to make sure that your horsebox has enough room for your horse. Any good horsebox should have adequate room for your horse so it’s able to stand up comfortable without being too cramped.
- Price – Price is another consideration when looking for a horsebox. If you’re on a limited budget then you are probably better off looking for a used horsebox.
- Driving experience – You also want to make sure that the horsebox drives well and doesn’t have any major faults or damage to the bodywork.
Getting horsebox insurance
When you own a horsebox you’ll need to get a special type of insurance known as horsebox insurance. This will protect you for all the major risks that come with owning such a vehicle.
There are many excellent websites where you can get horsebox insurance online. It’s usually recommended that you get a lot of quotes to prevent overspending on your cover.
Below are some of the types of cover you can get included with a horsebox insurance policy –
- Road risks – Road risks is the most basic type of cover you need to get for any vehicle in the UK. It will ensure that your vehicle is road legal and that other road users are protected in the event of a collision that you’re to blame for. To get cover for your own vehicle then you should get a comprehensive policy.
- Replacement vehicle – If your vehicle were to be damaged and you urgently needed a replacement then you would be very happy to have this type of cover included in your policy.
- Breakdowns – You also want to be prepared for breakdowns when you own a horsebox so getting breakdown recovery included in your policy is a very good idea.